Blog Post 1 – Personal Learning Networks and Digital Identity

What does it mean to network using social media?

Social networking has become a daily mainstream way of using the Internet. Social networking refers to the use of social media sites and applications, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, to connect with family, friends, and people who share your interests. And we can also use social networks to understand and learn what you are interested in.

How are we motivated to participate in networked publics?

Although social media has changed the way people gather around a cause, little is known about the motivations for actively participating in social media activities. I think that by participating in the online public on the Internet, we have the opportunity to learn knowledge without having to attend lectures or meet people in person. This is a very good experience. Since people participate in the networked public, They will like this kind of presentation of themselves like some comments or an article.

What are the risks & rewards of public communications?

Social media plays an increasing role in the visibility of personal information. Facebook was originally launched as a service for university students to author and distribute information about their personal identity, interpersonal connections, and social activities. While Facebook has since expanded its scope beyond universities, student life remains a heavily ‘Facebooked’ phenomenon. University administrators are keenly aware of their students’ presence on this site, and are adopting new practices to harness Facebook as an extension of their professional duties.(Daniel Trottier)In my opinion, this seriously endangers the privacy of school students. Although public communication has many benefits, there may also be potential risks.

What is a digital identity?

Digital identity is a way to check for truth our personal identity in order to provide data protection and protect our personal information. There are a lot of privacy such as looking at/looking through trace consumption records, and achieve to help us protect privacy.

How do personal versus professional approaches to digital identity affect social media use?

In personal use, we will provide more information about our lives. In professional digital identities, we are active with people who may bring us career opportunities, rather than those who have only the same interests. We are in professional digital identity.

How do digital identities converge in networked publics – what are the impacts and/or benefits?

Digital identities show who we are as individuals such as models, lawyers or house architects. These identities may help us in our careers. For example, if you are a house decoration designer and you share your house design and decoration through social media, you may be followed by some people who are interested in your design and become your customer. But you may also face the risk of stolen your works.

reference

Daniel Trottier, University of Alberta ,Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Sociology. https://doi.org/10.24908/ss.v10i3/4.4529

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 1 – Personal Learning Networks and Digital Identity

1. Reply
    kayatcheung - November 23, 2021

I agree with your idea of the privacy issue. Creating PLN and keeping it safe is equally important. I have experienced hacking; It was my QQ account. My friends were receiving weird advertisements sent by “me”, and I was freaked out. So, having the account safe is important.

2. Reply
    haixujiang - November 24, 2021

Hello Jaiwei, I have read your blog, and I think it is well-detailed. I agree that digital identities can be professional or personal. The online network is now a global village where everyone expresses him or herself, builds an audience and, creates a perspective to start a conversation.